Updating Address and Name on Voter ID Card: Online Form 8A Instructions

How to Fill Out Online Form 8a For Voter ID Card

If you have recently moved to a new area, you will need to update your address on your voter ID card. This will allow you to vote in the proper assembly constituency, and it will also serve as a valid identity document.

You will need to fill out Form 8A to change your address. This form is available online and at all electoral offices.

Transposition of Entry in Electoral Roll

When a citizen shifts his/her place of residence, they should inform it to the local election officials so that their new address can be updated in the electoral roll. This process is called transposition of entry in the electoral roll. The voter can file this form online, or offline by visiting the nearest electoral office.

During revision, all claims in Form 6 and objections in Form 7 as well as applications for corrections in Form 8 and application for transposition of entry in Form 8A are inquired into by the ERO. He/she can also suo-motu include names inadvertently omitted from the draft published for electoral rolls.

If a person has been legally adopted by a family and their name is not included in the list of electors, the BLO can add the name of adopting family head in the relation column. However, in case of service voters, they should not be enumerated as general elector during intensive revision.

Change of Residential Address

If you change your residence to a different city, you will need to update your voter ID card. This is an important step, as your house address will determine which candidates and offices you can vote for in upcoming elections. In addition, your new residential address will also affect your state taxes and Medicare checks. You should notify all your financial institutions of the change, including banks and investment brokerages. These companies report to credit agencies, which makes it even more crucial to keep them up to date with your information.

Your voting residence is the place where you live and consider home. It is different from your legal address, which is the address on your Leave and Earning Statement or other official document that defines your state of residency for withholding state taxes. If you are a service member, consult with legal counsel or military legal assistance office to understand the tax implications of your move.

Change of Name

If you change your name during a marriage, divorce, or because of a legal procedure like gender change, it will affect your voter ID card. To change your name, you will need to file a name change petition in court and pay a fee. The process varies by state. Some require that you publish a notice in the newspaper, while others may allow you to skip this step.

You will also need to update your name on your government identification documents, such as your driver’s license and social security card. You should check with your DMV and the Social Security Administration to find out how to do this. You can use a copy of your new birth certificate as proof of your name change. You can also provide a utility bill or a bank statement with your new name. The name on your ID should match the name used in all other government documents. Then, you will need to submit a letter of consent from your spouse.

Cancellation of Registration

The NVRA requires that national mail registration applications include a form that voters may use to cancel their registration. This is similar to the procedure that a voter would follow when they move from one jurisdiction to another. Typically, the canceled registration in the old jurisdiction is automatically canceled in the new jurisdiction as well. This will help to prevent duplicate voter registrations. Likewise, a voter will not be able to vote in both states at the same time unless they are properly registered in the new state and are notified of this by election officials.

The NVRA also includes language that requires most jurisdictions to follow a confirmation process before they remove voters from the roll if they believe that the voter has moved to a residence outside of the jurisdiction. This usually involves sending a nonforwardable address confirmation card to the voter at their old address, which must be returned before any change in the record can take effect.

Explore more